In order to avoid a Facebook overload, but keep our families and friends informed without non-stop texting and phone calls...

I created this blog to tell the story of our Baby Boy arrival into the world as a premie.

My water broke March 22nd at 26 weeks pregnant and our Max was born March 25th just before 2:00 in the morning.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

I have a sweet baby boy sleeping in my arms right now, which makes it hard to type, but it's sure worth it. Max turned 7 months old on the 25th of October. He celebrated his first Halloween by dressing up as Baby Batman & we hung out at home passing out candy while Daddy went trick-or-treating with E.
Also, Early Intervention came back to do his second assessment. He is still doing wonderfully. They came the day after he turned 7 months old (4 months  adjusted) and he is still beyond his adjusted age!

Language Skills: 5-6 months
Gross Motor:  4-5 months
Cognitive Development:  4-5 months
Fine Motor Skills: 5-6 months
Social Development: 6 months
Self Help Skills: 5 months

16 pounds and 65 cm tall

He is physically very strong and is showing signs of getting ready to eat some 'big boy' foods'
actually, he stole a french fry last week and shoved it straight in his mouth. We got it out before he swallowed or choked on it, but for the next few minutes he kept smacking his lips. Little stinker!

On Friday we went down to PCMC-Same Day Surgery so that they could do a CT scan of his lung.  Since he is still a baby they needed to put him under with anesthesia so they could get clean images. On Thursday the nurses called me to go over the schedule, he wasn't supposed to eat after 8am, and since he has never been under anesthesia they told me he and I were going to spend the night. S and E made arrangements to stay with his sister in Salt Lake, and we packed our bags. I was distraught at the fact that we would be spending the night, because that made the whole thing so much scarier. I distracted myself by packing a bag for E with some new books, stickers, coloring books, crayons and her favorite (non-perishable) snacks since it was going to be a long day for her.
Turns out, I didn't need to! PCMC had so many fun toys in their waiting room she only ended up coloring a few pages and playing with a few stickers since she was so busy playing with the toy kitchen and the other activities. Once they took Maximus back to get his CT we waited about an hour, then the nurses came to get me and take me to the recovery room. The nurses couldn't get him to take a bottle of pedialyte which worried me, until they had me try. He drank the whole thing down in 10 minutes flat, apparently he just wanted his mommy. Once Max moved out of the recovery room S and E joined us and she was so sweet to watch her check him over to make sure he was okay. She patted his back and kissed his head while asking me if he was okay. He sure was! In fact, he did so well and was my normal happy boy with just a little extra sleeping at the 4 hour mark they started talking to the Doctor if we could just go home. S and E had left after making sure all was well so that E could go play with her cousins. I was so excited to let them know that we might be going home.
Sure enough at the 5 hour mark they decided he was doing wonderfully and we didn't need to spend the night. I was so relieved! We loaded up, grabbed some dinner in the drive-thru, and went HOME!

We will meet with the follow-up NICU team on Monday, the pediatrician on Friday, and then we will finalize our plan of action. The CT scan will show us if they are going to be able to remove just the mass in his lung or if they will need to remove the bottom lobe of his lung. They didn't tell me what they found, but I will just have to accept that they will tell me when it is time. Surgery has been tentatively scheduled for the end of November if all goes well with insurance approval. Cross your fingers for us!!

Thank you for all the well wishes, the prayers, and the kindness from everyone. We are so grateful.

2 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

oh good, i was hoping you would post more about how the day went at the hospital! keep me updated on the results... hope it's good news :)

Sarah Wilson said...

Thank you Brit :)